SFI Program Participation
Any company, landowner, or organization that would like to become certified to the SFI program standards must license directly with SFI, Inc. Click here for the licensing application.
How to become certified to the 2005-2009 SFI Standard (forest owners and primary producers)
- Notify SFI Inc. two weeks prior to undertaking third-party certification or recertification at [email protected].
- Contact an SFI-accredited certifier. (click here for list of certificiation bodies). The SFI program requires all certification bodies become accredited to perform SFI Standard certification audits.
- Submit an application to the certification body.
- Complete an on-site audit
- Once you receive certification approval from your auditor, submit a copy of your public summary document to SFI Inc. Once you receive your certificate, your certifier will send your certification and completed report form to Rachel Dierolf ([email protected]) at SFI Inc. to register your completed certification and have it posted on the website. (In order to make public claims or statements regarding your company’s SFI certification, recertification, or surveillance audit, a public summary report must be submitted to SFI Inc. no less than two weeks prior to making report public.)
- Complete regular surveillance audits to verify on-going conformance to the SFI Standard.
- Complete a re-certification every 5 years.
How to become certified to the SFI Chain of Custody (CoC) Standard
- Contact an SFI-accredited certifier. The SFI program requires third-party auditors to be accredited to conduct CoC certifications. This ensures the quality, independence and integrity of the audit is maintained.
- Submit an application to the certifier.
- Complete an on-site audit.
- Certification approval usually takes four to six weeks. Once you receive your certification, your certifier wll send your certificate and completed report form to Rachel Dierolf at SFI Inc. to register your complete certification and have it posted on the website.
- Complete an annual audit to maintain certification.
- Visit www.sfiprogram.org/certifiers.cfm for a complete list of SFI-accredited certifiers.
For more information on the licensing and certification processes, please contact:
Director, Market Access and Product Labeling
703.875.9500 ex. 23